I spent a good part of April 16th re-reading the articles that were written right after the Virginia Tech shootings last year. One year later the feelings are still as raw as if the shootings happened yesterday. I couldn't bring myself to watch the ceremonies on-line. I could only watch the recaps on the news.
The one picture that immediately brought tears to my eyes was one related to the handgun protests being held in various cities. I was watching a Chicago news report when they showed 32 people lying on the ground. These people not only represented the victims from the Virginia Tech shootings but they also represented the 32 people that are killed each day from handguns. Talk about a powerful image.
I did read some of the news articles on the ceremonies from yesterday, and one thing is clear. The Hokie spirit will prevail regardless of the pain that we all still feel from last year's events. We have learned and we have grown from this experience. And, I can only hope we have learned enough to help prevent history from repeating itself. My thoughts and prayers are with all that have been affected by the April 16, 2007 shootings at Virginia Tech.
And, as all Hokies will say: LET'S GO HOKIES!!!!
Thursday, April 17, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
I posted a memorial commemorative yesterday for Va. Tech survivors and victims amd took a moment to pray for them.
I know that my Missy's university has called our home phone with recorded messages when they have any little disruption, and that was instituted in response to this tragedy.
Great post!
With working in education the VA tech incident brings up so many feelings professionally and personally.
While I read some of the memorial, victim, and survivor stories, I found myself once again in tears. My prayers are with you and all the VaTech families.
Post a Comment