Saturday, January 5, 2008

An Incredible Gift

There are days (and even weeks) when being a high school teacher is the last thing in the world that I want to be. I long for the days when I worked with corporations and actively practiced my engineering. I want to go back to the time when the hardest thing I had to do was determine if I was under budget or not. I get tired of fighting with high school students about doing their homework, turning in work, focusing on the lesson, and reaching for higher goals then they have set for themselves. There are days that I feel as if I don't make a difference and I wonder why I'm there.

December 19th started out as a normal day, one that represented the last day of school before the winter break. At the end of the day, each of our specialty areas held small holiday celebrations. I always dread this celebration because I am responsible for monitoring 60+ kids with holiday spirit for about 40 minutes. It's stressful and I'm always glad for it to be over. But, this year was different.

This year, toward the end of the celebration, different students from around the building just started showing up. I am the senior class sponsor, but there were kids from every grade level. Before I knew it there were at least 100 kids in the cafeteria with us. Of course, I'm puzzled and trying to analyze what's going on. Then, one of my kids starts walking toward me with a box. At first, I was confused. Then, I took a look at what that box held. It was a Nikon D40 camera. I immediately started tearing up, because I realized that my kids had chipped in and bought me the one gift that I had wanted to get for myself but was unable to because my car had died recently.

The kids had made a card out of poster board and everyone had signed it. There were 100+ names on this card. I couldn't believe that these kids had done this for me. The funny thing was that it wasn't the camera that brought this much emotion. It was the realization that maybe I do make a difference. Maybe I do have an impact on these kids. Those kids took all of the anger and frustration I was feeling and turned it into something so positive. That card and that camera represent so much more than just a Christmas gift. They represent the encouragement and support I needed to continue this school year. I will never forget this day and I will draw on that energy each time I feel as if I want to throw in the towel. I will never forget the incredible gift that was given to me this year.

6 comments:

Joni M said...

What a wonderful gift! And the gift that you give them is equally wonderful!
Now that you have your camera, we want to see some photos on your blog! LOL!

lisa said...

Oh Cheryl!! What a beautiful story!! Thanks for sharing it with us!! :) You are amazing and I know you make a difference in the lives of these children!! :)

John M. said...

I'm quite sure that I can speak for the entirety of the tech class, if not beyond that scope, that you make a tremendous difference. I've learned a lot from your engineering classes; not just in regards to engineering: some of the thing you've taught me have helped me to make decisions in my everyday life as well. Beyond that, you're always willing to help me out when I come to you with an issue.

If you ask me, you have more of an impact than any other teacher in the school, and I can promise you that I'm not the only one who shares that opinion. We all know that you work hard to keep things going with TSA and your classes, as well as to make sure that all of your students keep up with their grades and work, and trust me when I say that your efforts are definitely respected. If you want proof, just look at how many people chipped in for that present!

Leah's Crafty Life said...

oh. I feel blessed to haved just been able to read this story. You are one heck of a lady, and I'm so glad your students see that as well. I'm feeling a bit choked up here at the moment.. about all I can think to say is WOW! Beautiful Christmas story!

Aimeslee Winans said...

omg, Cheryl, what in the hell do you mean by "MAYBE"? Maybe?

MAYBE?

I'm sitting here bawling like a little kid. What an awesome act of deserved love and admiration!

You know, the accountant in me kicked in, and I googled the D40...all I can say is, to get 100 kids to donate $5 each is an awesome trick in and of itself!

Such an amazing act and so deserved! Those kids love you!

So, no more maybe, okay? You are not a maybe, you're an always in my book! {hugs}

Oh Scrap!! said...

Great story!! Cheryl you deserve that and everything good life has to offer you have a beautiful, kind soul, i hope to see you soon,hugs,Rosa.